Sunday, March 16, 2008

Doctors, doctors everywhere!

I promised a while back I that I would do my best to keep you current on medical information, prices and the like. Here's the latest........................


Oh, just bite me!


We like going to the dentist every six months. It was time for the semi-annual check up so we called for an appointment on a Thursday and got in the next Thursday. Deb's appointment was for 11 AM and mine for noon. This is the same dentist that we went to about six months ago.

Debi received her check up and cleaning....all was good.

A few weeks prior to it being time for the semi-annual check up I had noticed that my right rear upper molar was rough and I figured that it got chipped or broke or something but I was having no discomfort. Needless to say I mentioned it to the dentist when I went in and he checked it and said that yes indeed something happened to the wall of the tooth and the filling had partially come out as well. He was surprised that I wasn't having any pain. I asked if it could be repaired? He said yes it could be repaired as the main part of the tooth was in good shape and he'd just have to re-do the filling and re-shape the back of the tooth. I then asked when could it be done and he said "now". Now? Really, no waiting? Cool! So he did the tooth first and then the cleaning and check up, etc. All was well!

Total cost for everything 1,500pesos ($142.85 US)




To see or not to see..........let me take a peek!



For what ever reason we had not been to see an eye doctor since our last eye exam in August of 06 in the Springs.

Since we've been her we have talked to numerous people about who they go to, what type of experience they have had, etc. We had been getting more serious about it over the last four months and we received some serious recommendations from our close friends Jim & Cheryl and Jane and John. They gave us a glowing report on a Dr. Chi. As a matter of fact Jane and John flat out stated that if it had not been for Dr. Chi Jane would have lost the vision in one of her eyes. Jane and John are world travelers and they know what they are talking about. Their experiences are totally amazing and it's great to get together with them and hear their stories. Oh yea, and Jane is a super cook too! So anyway, that put the lid on the searching.

So we called on a Friday and got in the next Thursday. Deb's appointment was for 7 PM and mine at 7:30 PM. Unusual for what we were used to in the States but not unusual for here. It seems that Dr. Chi has morning appointments and then mid to late morning he does surgeries and then resumes appointments around 4 PM. I can only imagine that he also has a respite of some kind worked in there as well. I sure would!

We go into his office and he greets us, speaks very good Ingles, and since Deb's appointment is first he starts with her. Does a background check, health, any eye problems, etc. He checks her glasses and the prescription in the lenses. We had brought the prescriptions written down for him but he likes to check them himself just to be sure. Takes her into the examining room and asks me to come along. As some of you know the family unit in Mexico is all important so it's not unusual to see four to six people accompanying a family member into a Dr's office. So I sat and watched and listened. Since I was there to hear Debi say what the letters on the vision test were he looked over his shoulder at me, smiled and said don't worry, I'll test you with numbers! LOL!

The equipment was state of the art and he had some things that our Dr in the Springs didn't have the last time we were there.

After Deb's exam was over he took us both back to his office and sat down and explained everything he found thru the testing. He used an eyeball model and explained everything even further so that she would understand the changes her eyes are going through, etc. Very interesting and informative. He told Deb that her prescription did change a little and he wrote it down in case she wanted to get new glases. He did not push for new glasses, lenses, etc. He told Deb that she could use the drug store glasses and be fine. However, he did caution that it was very important to get yearly exams.
Next was me and he went through all the same stuff. My history was a bit more complicated but that's cause I'm a guy....right? LOL! Which just means I was more stupid! LOL! While my check up is being done my beloved decided that a picture would be worth a thousand words. So not to spoil her good work here I am along with Dr Chi.
I too was told that the drug store glasses would work fine but that, of course, I couldn't get them with a bi-focal lens. That's what I'd like to get.
We were very pleased with our experience and feel that we have found our eye doctor her in Merida.
Total cost for everything 800pesos ($76.19US)
I will certainly update as needed but other than routine check ups, etc, I hope I don't have the need to report very much!
Take care!

No comments: